Sunday, June 15, 2014

Sunday Skimmers and other Rondeau Sightings

I decided to check out Rondeau Park this morning. The weather was great so it was a pleasant outing.
Starting on south point trail, some butterflies were starting to fly for the day.  Lots of Little Wood Satyrs were out as well as Hobomok Skippers.




Dragonflies are getting more numerous and one of the most common species was Blue Dasher.




I also saw a few Painted Skimmers.  Seems to be the year for them.  In total, I saw five in the park during my three hour stay.



Notable birds on south point included a female Black-and-White Warbler, and flying out over the lake was a Common Loon.

Next stop was the visitor centre area.  Just after I got out of the car, I heard a Black-throated Green Warbler singing near Tulip Tree Trail.  Sometimes, the odd one stays around.  I have them in late June as well.
I walked down Harrison Trail and came across a couple more Painted Skimmers.



Also heard and saw a Blue-winged Warbler.  I assume it is nesting in that area.

After three hours in the park, I headed over to Blenheim Sewage Lagoons.  The place has pretty much been cleared of birds!  As I approached the sprinklers cells, two female Wilson's Phalaropes flew out.  Seemed odd to have two bright females, rather than a male-female pair.

I briefly checked Erieau's marsh trail, but nothing of note, and certainly no Snowy Owl visible.  Last date I have for the owl is June 5, so if anyone has a later date, please let me know.
Many of these spiderwort plants at Marthaville yesterday were neat to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment