Sunday, June 29, 2014

Rondeau Ducks and Warblers

Just for curiosity, I went for some extensive walking in Rondeau Park this morning.  Recently, a Red-throated Loon was reported off the south beach.  Given that this species is quite rare at Rondeau at any time, this record was even more intriguing.  I did not see it today despite walking considerable distance out the south beach.

It is always an interesting walk.  The mosquitoes were not too bad along the way, and the walk was not too bad with the terrible erosion that has taken place since last year.  Once you get past a certain point, it is open and you get a good view of the Rondeau marsh.  You never know what is out there.

????


Lots of Bonaparte's Gulls were out and about today.  All immatures of course.



At one point, a male Common Merganser flew by, then I saw a Red-breasted Merganser associating with the gulls.
A record shot of the Common Merg...




It flew farther west, then I saw it again on the beach.


After the long walk, I headed up to Tulip Tree Trail. Upon entering the mid section of the trail, I stopped in my tracks when I heard a buzzy warbler singing.  Turned out to be a Northern Parula!  It constantly sand at the tree tops, moving around a bit, but I never could get a visual on it. Just one of those odd early summer records.....

At the big slough, I managed to hear one Prothonotary Warbler singing, and another chipping.  Apparently there may be another nesting pair near Bennett Road in the park as well.  I checked there, but it was quiet with only Blue Dashers and Swamp Darners flying around.

The Acadian Flycatcher was still singing along Rondeau Road as I drove in this morning.  It took up residence back in May.

Just before leaving the park, I took a walk around the maintenance loop.  I found a bunch of red flowers which are called Bee-balm, or sometimes called Oswego Tea.



Next stop (after lunch) was Blenheim Lagoons.  Fall shorebirds should be showing up.  Just in from the gate, the male Canvasback flushed up.  It has been around for many weeks.



At the sprinklers, dozens of noisy Killdeer were present.  At one point I heard something different which I recognized as a Least Sandpiper.  It took a while to spot it, but there it was.



It took flight in the Killdeer frenzy, but I later found it along the middle sewage cell.  That cell also had the Greater Scaup from last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment