Saturday, March 22, 2014

More Welcome Signs: Towhees, Tundras and Grebes



I decided on Rondeau this morning and it was nice to see more birds.  Enough snow has melted to do some serious walking.  I checked out part of south point trail for the first time since early January.
On the way through the park it was evident that Song Sparrows had arrived en masse.  They were  everywhere and in bunches as they often are this time of year.


Along south point trail, I found a male Eastern Towhee which was a fresh spring migrant.  I heard one singing at the VC as I drove by so I knew this one was different.


At the VC, one towhee was at the feeder while another was singing in the background.


I should have walked down the road from there, as a friend had an Eastern Phoebe and an American Woodcock.  I knew the woodcocks would be around, but I did not scare one up today!

I walked the campground as well and came across yet another towhee.  Too bad it was the wrong kind.  One with green in its name would be nice, but I would settle with one that had more spots.

Over at Erieau, the field near McGeachy Pond were loaded with puddle ducks and lots of diving ducks too!  There was actually an incredible number of Canvasback, Redhead and Ring-necked Ducks in the field to the north.


The Bay is still mostly frozen except for a patch out in the middle and a bit right at Erieau.  As well, there is a lot of solid ice yet on the lake, so the ducks are going where they can.

The fields had all kinds of puddle ducks including Blue-winged Teal and Northern Shoveler.  I tried hard for an Eurasian Wigeon, but to no avail.  I guess I do not have the eye for them!


The channel and a small bit into the Bay are now open with lots of ducks there.  A large number of scaup were at the NW corner. No duck with a tuft though.  I notice quite a few Gadwall here, but very few wigeon.

Needless to say, Tundra Swans were everywhere today.


I was home by early afternoon, but had to head out to Sombra later to finalize things for a presentation I am doing at the museum.  I left a bit early to check for ducks and grebes on the St. Clair River.  I was alerted to three Red-necked Grebes at Cathcart park yesterday.  I found those, but a fourth was along to the north end of the park.  These may have been around for a while, but it is difficult to say.  Two Horned Grebes were present as well.



No comments:

Post a Comment