Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Post Storm Calm

Although a stiff and cold NW wind was blowing, it was quite a different day than the last two.  Not many birds were around.  A couple of watchers went to Point Edward today, but saw nothing of note.  A few Brant were still around.


I took a photo (above) yesterday at one point of the scene with a large flock of Brant.  I magnified it and counted 162 in that photo alone!  It was difficult to determine how many were present yesterday at Point Edward.  I would say 250 is a good estimate, but perhaps close to 300 may have been around.  Certainly I would think it is a record high for the location, at least for one day.  It was really incredible.
I took some general photos and the one of the two Kittiwakes together.  I also photo-captured another Kittiwake which was obviously different from those two.  The wonders of photography.  At least I can safely say we had three Black-legged Kittiwakes yesterday.  But who knows the way birds were flying around.



As well, we had at least two juv Sabine's Gulls.  Birders who had started early had one.  Later on in the afternoon another (or the same) was spotted, but I was sure I had seen two.  Visibility was poor at the time and there were lots of birds.  At the same time I also spotted a kittiwake to add to the confusion.  Well, a short while after I left, Jeremy informed me that two definite Sabine's Gulls were seen.



The congregation of birds was a a result of the weather.  An impressive sight for birders!  Hurricane Sandy did not directly bring in any rarities to the area, but the resulting winds concentrated birds at the mouth of Lake Huron.  Birds we normally see this time of year on a good wind.
Even Lake Ontario was relatively quiet today with regards to rarities.  No doubt some rare birds are lurking about that can be attributed to this massive storm.  Cannot wait for the weekend!  (Weather looks good).
By the way, a Black-headed Gull (SRC) was seen off Erie Beach in south C-K late yesterday.

ST. Clair River scoter

No comments:

Post a Comment