Monday, September 17, 2012

Shorebirds at the Ridge

I headed over to Ridgetown after supper today.  Josh's post yesterday got me interested to see what was there.  Things were previously mediocre over the summer with regards to shorebird habitat. I first checked the viewing stand pond.  A few birds including 2 Short-billed Dowitchers and some others. A white bird...oh its that white mallard again.  Its been there a better part of the summer.

I went over behind the treatment buildings and was amazed at the number of birds.  This pond must have been drawn down last week, as the habitat for shorebirds is perfect.  All kinds. I found the Red Knot!

Just after I arrived, a clown on a bike came in and flushed many of the birds.  There were lots of geese there and of course they took off disturbing the shorebirds.  Many left.  Just my luck...as usual...one chance in a million that someone would come along.  Some returned.
I did see a couple of Baird's.

At least a half dozen Wilson's Snipe were there as well.  Lots of yellowlegs, Pectoral, Least, etc., but no Phalarope.  I have had enough of them this summer anyway!




Many geese were around and they were getting up as darkness fell.  One flock got up from the back field somewhere and I spotted the (or a) Snow Goose.












A bit dark for good photos, but I tried.
Maybe this should be checked more often.  It is only 40 minutes from home!

2 comments:

  1. I must admit, clowns are generally scarce. Not sure if I have ever seen one at a sewage pond!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, clowns are scarce. They are a code-4 rarity, but do appear from time to time.

    ReplyDelete