Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Hairstreak Season

My favourite type of butterfly is now appearing!  I like hairstreaks as they are cool to ID and photograph.    
I haven't had much of a chance to check since last Friday, but on the spur of the moment I skooted over to Reid CA after work and saw a Coral Hairstreak first thing.  These ones are very easy to ID.

I also saw a couple of Banded Hairstreaks on the Indian Hemp (dogbane) plants.  Butterflies love this stuff.


The first Northern Broken-Dash of the season was there.  I also saw a Peck's Skipper.

Early this morning I saw one of the Dickcissels at Port Lambton.  It was moving around a lot though.  It even went across the road into the wheat field for a bit.  Never could get a photo!
Saw this single Mallard at Port Lambton this morning...




4 comments:

  1. I find Banded and Striped Hairstreak quite difficult (but then again, have not had much practice w/ the two species).

    Thanks for the Dickcissel posts from last week! Mark and I got 3 birds at the field east of Wheatley on our drive back from Rainy River (we came back thru Sarnia).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you be at the Pinery butterfly count this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a Hickory Hairstreak behind the Banded Hairstreak in that one photo. Anybody else think so?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adam, It may be a Hickory! After I got home and uploaded the photos, I was thinking so. Sometimes there seems to be little difference between Hickory and Banded, but other times it is obvious!

    ReplyDelete