Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rondeau and Area Today

With gale force winds and wet snow, one knew it had to be the weekend.  The sun eventually came out in the afternoon, but with brutal winds, birding was a struggle today.  I headed down to Rondeau early this morning in hopes of beating some of the snow, but by the time I got there it was coming down quite heavily.
I started at the campground meeting birders Steve, Jim and Craig who had just seen a few White-winged Crossbills at the usual spot.
We came across a few birds at the north end where a feeder is located.  A couple of White-throated Sparrows were there among others.

We heard a Common Redpoll or two fly over at that time.  Seems redpolls are on the move right now with a few reports in southern Ontario.  In fact, I later heard another, then came across a handfull at the east end of New Scotland Line.  I had no time to focus or change camera settings, but did get a quick shot.


'polls





At the visitor centre feeders, there was little activity.  A pair of Tufted Titmouse was the highlight.

I headed back to the north end, and came across a small sparrow flock including 3 or 4 Field Sparrows near the churches.  In the campground I heard a Yellow-rumped Warbler and a couple of crossbills.  Could not see them though as visibility was poor.

I toured some back roads which were very muddy and soft. So much for a clean car, AGAIN!  So much mud on the wheel rims are causing them to be unbalanced I think.  That might explain the vibration at higher speeds! It was bad enough that when I got home I removed all my wheels and cleaned the mud out and rotated them.  Seems better now.






Some Ring-necked Ducks were at Shrewsbury and down at Erieau, lots of Coots scattered about.  Some were even having a picnic on the lawn!


Lots of Bonaparte's Gulls are around (2-300?) that likely came in with the warm spell.  Nothing else unusual to report there.

bonies




I went back to Rondeau since the sun came out.  I found more Field Sparrows, and in fact a pure flock of 7-8 along the edge of the beach near the traffic circle. They were rather skittish so I never got a photo.
It was too windy on the Bay side, so the crossbills probably moved to a calmer spot.


Field Sparrow...somewhere.....
Northern Harrier (lots around this winter!)

I went home via Ridgetown. There is actually open water at the lagoons, but only a few Ring-billed Gulls  and Mallards.  Never saw a Northern Pintail today!

One of these days something of note had to show up such as a Varied Thrush.  I heard another was found in the north today at Diamond Lake, Algoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment