Saturday, December 31, 2011

Last Kick at the Can (2011)


Today I went as far as Point Pelee.  I originally thought I'd go New Year's Day instead, but looking at the weather forecast, it turned me off.  It will probably be nice though, as today's forecast was totally wrong (as usual).
It was supposed to be sunny (did anyone see the sun?).
I started at the severely eroded Tip noting quite a few Bonaparte's Gulls.


Walking back along the trail, I caught sight of a red morph Screech Owl.  I could not get close, so this photo will have to do.    This is only the fourth of this colour morph I have seen. I heard there is another up by Sanctuary Pond, but I have not seen it yet.


Usually this time of year, lots of birds are along Shuster Trail eating the berries.  There was a fair number of birds today including White-throated Sparrows, Robins, Cardinals, a Yellow-rumped Warbler and a Carolina Wren.  Speaking of wrens, I turned up a House Wren here!  I heard it first, then it popped up briefly, but I was not able to get a photo before it disappeared.  Nothing was responding to pishing today  (like all month!).

As I drove by the entrance to the campground, I heard a Robin and other birds.  I stopped and got out to find quite a movement of birds.  About 15-20 Yellow-rumped Warblers were here with many Robins and a few Golden-crowned Kinglets.  They were quickly moving, so I lost sight of them.
More Robins were on Chinquapin Trail.
Absolutely nothing at De Laurier!

On the way out, I drove through the Onion Fields area and could not find the two Snowy Owls I saw earlier on the way in.
I had hopes this weekend of seeing a Black-legged Kittiwake in the area, but that was dashed upon learning that one was found dead yesterday.

I motored on up to Lighthouse Cove and saw lots of gulls.  Quite a few Great Black-backed here today.  At least 3 Double-crested Cormorants.
At Jeannette's Creek at least 3 Great Blue Herons were along the river, some ducks and a Kingfisher.  I could hear tons of ducks over in Bradley's!
Mitchell Bay water tower in background

On the way home, two Snowy Owls were north of Grande Pointe and one just south of Wallaceburg.  So, only five Snowy Owls today.  No doubt there are more out there.  All have been way out in fields.  The only one up close was the very first one I saw this month north of Wallaceburg.
More Snowy Owl blobs:


Golden-crowned Kinglets seem to be around as I encountered them in various spots today.

2 comments: