Monday, December 26, 2011

The Count is On

In less than 24h, the Wallaceburg 2011 CBC (Crazy Birder's Club) will be history.  Speaking of history, this count has been held since 1986 (I have been doing it since 1987).  I recall 1986, just out of university, but I was working 6 days a week, so could not do it.
Today I just checked out the St. Clair River.  It was sure unlike any previous year with lack of ducks and gulls.  Such a weird year with few birds anywhere!

weird gull

I started at Brander Park.  Just as I was about to leave there, a flock of 12-15 blackbirds came in and briefly alighted in the trees of the woodlot.  I never got much of a look, but I certainly heard several Rusty Blackbirds so I am not sure what else was with them.

Up at Lambton Generating Station, the Common Loon was all by itself preening on the water.  Not a single other duck in sight!

A twist to yesterday's loon....Steve Charbonneau saw a Red-throated Loon just downriver from LGS.  Wanting to see it, I headed up right away but only found a Common Loon in the area, as posted on my blog yesterday.








I will post another photo of my Red-throated from 2005 at the exact same spot! (the one and only I have ever seen on the St. Clair).










Things we will not see tomorrow are rafts of ducks such as Canvasback.  I hope they are still up north!

Owls are nice to find at any time, let alone on a count.  Snowy is a good bet tomorrow.  There were at least 3 in the circle on Saturday, so I hope at least one is found.


Short-eared Owl







Weather does not look all that great for tomorrow.  As usual, it looks like the worst day of the week for weather.  Last year was not too good either.  Never fails!


I wish...!!...

No comments:

Post a Comment