Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Loon

This fellow was swimming off Willow Park in front of the Lambton Generating Station this morning.
not so common Common Loon



 I managed to get a few photos before it submerged.  I never saw it again!  How long can loons stay under water?  I waited a good 20 minutes and even had a clear view upstream and downstream, but never saw it surface.

This is the exact same spot I had a Red-throated Loon in early winter 2005.


While there, 3 Long-tailed Ducks flew downriver.  A Belted Kingfisher was nearby.
Today, there were 7 Sandhill Cranes on Stewart Line!!

I was out doing a bit of scouting for the upcoming CBC.  No Snowy Owls today.  I guess I overdid it yesterday!
The Great Gray Owl is apparently still present today.  As you probably know by now it is the first Essex County record and the southernmost record for Ontario!  I think the most southerly one previously was at the Ipperwash Army Camp more than ten years ago as found by Alf Rider.
The White-eyed Vireo is still present at John R. Park Homestead.  Jim Burk photographed it this morning!
I hope this is OK to post here.  Photo by James T. Burk:


No comments:

Post a Comment