Saturday, June 4, 2011

Some Oddities

The sloughs are full!

Went down to Rondeau Park this morning for one last kick at the can for a while.  Surprisingly, there were very few late migrants.  I had only two "migrant" warblers--a Blackpoll and a Wilson's out Marsh Trail.
Wilson's Warbler

All the usual flycatchers were around including Alder plus even an Acadian on South Point Trail. The Acadian remained hidden, but it called several times.  An Olive-sided Flycatcher was at the same spot as last week along Gardiner Ave.

I did a huge amount of walking, but I just like being outdoors and on the trail.  Coming off South Point Trail, which is still quite flooded in spots, I heard a Clay-colored Sparrow.  Well, that is what I thought.  It would have been ticked as such if I had not looked at the bird.  It was difficult to locate at the top of a tree, but it turned out to be a Chipping singing a Clay-colored song!  I have seen hybrids before, but this certainly looked like a Chipping.


Deep Water!  




I went out onto the east beach in several spots as lots of Bonaparte's Gulls were moving. As well, lots of Canada Geese. One flock, although very distant had a single all-white goose bringing up the rear.  I think it was a Canada, but due to distance I could not confirm.
Purple Martins were busy, as seen above.

Hobomok Skipper

Some more butterflies were out today--new ones for the year.  Several Silver-spotted Skippers and Hobomok Skippers were along the edges.  A single Little Wood Satyr was out Marsh Trail.  Lots of Tiger and Spicebush Swallowtails flying about.  At Blenheim Lagoons, several Common Sootywings were out.  Yesterday I saw the first one of the year out at the workplace.





Tiger Swallowtail








Silver-spotted Skipper

No comments:

Post a Comment