Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day Feeder Watch

Stayed home today due to the weather. 


Well, that storm sort of fizzled.  We only got half the snow predicted and it was not too windy for the most part (at least here).  Those weather forecasts.....!
Last night around midnight is when the storm really hit with high winds and snow.  That only lasted 20 minutes then it stopped! After half an hour, we got ice pellets for over two hours with some wind, and that was it.  It wasn't even snowing when I got up this morning.
The snow did however get heavy later in the morning and lasted a while to accumulate.  The sun came out briefly this afternoon and I saw my shadow.  So, I don't know if that means six more weeks of bad birding or what.

During the heavy snow, I watched the feeders.  The birds really came in for a while.  I had about 70 American Goldfinch plus other things.  Another Tree Sparrow showed up, which is the norm.  As I mentioned previously, every time we get a dumping of snow, a Tree Sparrow shows up here.  The one from the weekend was still here, as well as the White-throated Sparrow.

Tree Sparrows

Still no Redpolls here.  One would think there that a couple might be in with all those goldfinches!

No comments:

Post a Comment