Saturday, January 22, 2011

Saturday Tour

Red-bellied Woodpecker

I birded the Rondeau area this morning, not wanting to go too far.  The wind is strong and there is a bit of snow today.  And it is very cold (in the wind)!  Yesterday was a beautiful day, but as usual, the weather went down hill for the weekend, not to mention an inaccurate weather forecast.

The Rondeau visitor centre feeders were active with the usual birds.  Lots of Chickadees were around there--about 20.



shy Tufted Titmouse

An adult Bald Eagle called on South Point Trail to get my attention, but there was not much else of note.
The campground was dead for birds.


Quite a few Horned Larks and Snow Bunting were along the roadways and fields.  One good flock on New Scotland Line did not co-operate as they kept getting behind me.  Probably longspur amongst them.  One group of Canada Geese there also in a corn field.  There is no open water anywhere except several kilometres out on the lake.
On Stefina Line, I saw the flicker again. If nothing else I always see that one.  The hypothetical Northern Shrike was not there, and the snipe may be long gone.  I did see the usual dark morph Rough-legged Hawk.


AT Erieau, I did venture out the R/R trail and McGeachy Pond.  The usual sparrows-Song, Swamp, White-throated and Tree were there.

White-throated Sparrow

I was crazy enough to check out the McGeachy dike in hopes of seeing the Gray Catbird.  I actually did manage to find it, but it was hunkered down.

This is a Gray Catbird!

There were lots of birds at the compost pile on Gore Road, but nothing new that I could see.  One can only hope for a Golden-crowned Sparrow there!

The old Moon (yesterday morning)

1 comment:

  1. Blake, nice encounters with wintering carolinian species. The dark morph RLH is excellent.

    ReplyDelete