Saturday, May 29, 2010

Along Lake Erie

melanistic Garter Snake (?)

I started at Rondeau this morning.  Migration sure has come to an abrupt halt.  Usually you still have quite a few migrants in the last few days of May, but I did not detect many today.  I heard a couple of Blackpoll Warblers at Rondeau, but that was it.  I did hear an Ovenbird, but perhaps that is one that is staying.  I saw one Common Loon flying over the lake.  Some non-breeding loons do stick around on the lake in the summer as well.
I was done there by 08:00!  So, it was off to Pelee to at least look for butterflies.   (I did see a couple of Hobomok Skippers at Rondeau).

Giant Swallowtail (missing a chunk!)

I headed down East Beach first thing.  Butterflies there included Spicebush Swallowtail, Giant Swallowtail, and Red Admiral.  One of the better dragonflies included Carolina Saddlebags.
Birds included a Horned Grebe off the pilings, heard one Blackpoll Warbler, and a Northern Mockingbird.  Most interesting was a Black Tern on the beach with a broken wing (?).



The south part of West Beach Trail was closed due to a certain function, unfortunately, as I wanted to check it for insects.
Heading north, I heard a Black-throated Green Warbler just south of Marsh Boardwalk turnoff.

Snout

After I had something to eat, I checked out the West Beach Trail south of Northwest Beach parking lots. 

Little Wood Satyr

A fair number of butterflies were there including about 15 Little Wood Satyrs and a Silver-spotted Skipper among other species.  I started off looking at a Snout.  I had one earlier along the road south of V.C.


Silver-spotted Skipper

Lots of dragonflies were around.

Common Green Darners

 Actually the last day or so there has been a huge emergeance of dragonflies.  There were thousands yesterday around Wallaceburg.  Not sure what species though.

1 comment:

  1. Great butterfly photos Blake. I feel bad for that Black Tern. Poor guy. Nature can be cruel some times.
    -Dwayne

    ReplyDelete