Sunday, March 30, 2008

Last Weekend of March


We still had rather cold conditions for this time of year. Not many birds to report yet. However, tomorrow it promises to get quite warm. I expect there will be a flood of spring migrants on Tuesday. (Yes, once again it will be mid week for those of us who have to work!).
Saturday was rather nice, but I was unable to get out much due to other committments. I went to Rondeau Park on Sunday, but as usual, a strong and cold east wind greeted me. It seems that the last few years, east winds prevail in the spring, especially on weekends.
I took a long walk out marsh trail, like I usually do towards the end of March. There were very few birds along the trail, but there were lots of ducks out in the Bay. Usually there are countless Song Sparrows and some Swamp Sparrows along with a meadowlark or two. Today there were only about six Song Sparrows, a few Tree Sparrows, and two Juncos!

pair of scaup taking flight

I did however encounter an American Woodcock, as seen in this poor photo. Other birds included a few Northern Cardinals, a couple of Black-capped Chickadees, Downy Woodpeckers, and a couple of Northern Harriers, two imm. Bald Eagles, and a Rough-legged Hawk.


imm. BALD EAGLE

There were very few geese. I was hoping for White-fronted, but no luck. I had a flock of twenty two years ago which was a record high.

With the strong east wind, there was no sense in checking out the other side of the park, so I made a quick check of Spice Bush Trail entrance. I came across an Eastern Phoebe near there.

On the way home I decided to check out Ridgetown Sewage lagoons. Hardly anything there, but near there heading home, I spotted my first male Eastern Bluebird of the year.
At home I still had a few Pine Siskins and a Common Redpoll.

No comments:

Post a Comment