Saturday, November 3, 2007

Redpolls On the Move


Today I started at Erieau with a beautiful sunrise. I had hoped to come across a Cave Swallow or two, but it was not to be. I did, however, get a couple of Common Redpolls going over--the first ones of the year. Many places farther north have reported them, so I knew it was a matter of time.

I made a stop in Rondeau Park, but not much was to be seen. I then decided to head over to Hawk Cliff east of Port Stanley. A big mistake! Hardly any hawks. Common Loons (2) outnumbered hawks for a while! There were many bluebirds passing over, as well as Pine Siskins and Cedar Waxwings.

Enough was enough, so I quickly left and headed back west. I make a short stop at the Port Stanley lagoons. A Wilson's Snipe was near the viewing stand. There were several geese, ducks and gulls, but nothing noteworthy.

Next stop was the overlook south of Morpeth where I had seen many ducks and grebes earlier. There were lots of scaup and scoters and a few loons. Quite a number of Horned Grebes were present on the lake today.

At Blenheim lagoons there were lots of ducks, but nothing special. Two Northern Mockingbirds were along the SE fence. I think that is a new species for me there!

A lot of driving for very few birds. I think I will head north tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment