Tuesday, October 9, 2007

The Passion of Birding

This is my first post, so I will give some background information.
I have been birdwatching for twenty years now, and it is my passion! I find nothing more enjoyable than getting out into the outdoors and looking for birds and other forms of nature. I also look for butterflies in the summer.
Finding a rarity or something unusual is always exciting. I have found a few rarities over the years, and it all comes down to being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sage Thrasher out my bedroom window one morning many years ago is right up there! That Ivory Gull on the St. Clair River really got me excited in December 1995!
My favourite place to bird is Rondeau Provincial Park in south Chatham-Kent. I have seen over 300 species of birds in or around Rondeau. One of the best ones that I have found there was a Swainson's Warbler in May 1995.
I have been writing a nature column for over five years on the internet in CKTimes. (Click on the link at the right of the blog). In it I write about local sightings or nature topics, and I also post photos that I have taken of nature subjects.
With this blog, I will have more opportunity to post sightings and photos when they come along.
This past Thanksgiving weekend was far too hot, and put a damper on birding. At Rondeau Park, lots of sparrows had finally come in. A few warblers were around, but mostly Yellow-rumped, as expected. Two Osprey were nice to see out marsh trail there.
All for now, and I will post when the opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment