Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Last Ride and More Sparrows


The weather was absolutely beautiful today--no wind and very warm.
This evening I took one last ride in my boat as the sun was setting. It will be blocked up for the winter next Monday. Flocks of blackbirds were going over, and a few gulls were patrolling the St. Clair River. Where did the summer go?
I am seeing lots of sparrows and juncos at Brander Park every morning now. (I'm still hoping for a Sharp-tailed there!) Not many warblers except a few Yellow-rumped now. I did get a Nashville this morning though. Another Phoebe was flycatching. There were lots of those this past weekend too.
The Northern Wheatear was not seen after Monday. I know lots of people got to see it. I would imagine that some of those who missed the one on Amherst Island came to get a look at this bird.

I am not a bird chaser for the most part, so I remain patient and hope that rare birds cross my path, or show up near by. It is certainly frustrating when one travels a great distance for a rare bird, and misses it. But that is part of the game. It all comes down to being in the right place at the right time. I have come across some good rarities over the years, fortunately.
Anyway, fall is a nice time for birding, and we can look for more birds from the north in the coming weeks, and hopefully some rarites.

Looks like this weekend is going to be very windy. It could make for some interesting birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment